Sunday, February 19, 2012

In the Movie of Life...

In my first college English class my professor presented us with a list of what he called "Worst Analogies Ever Written In High School Essays". Most were pretty pathetic, but one of them caught my attention:

"Her date was pleasant enough, but Kate knew that if her life were a movie this guy would be buried in the credits as something like 'Second Tall Man.'"

I disagreed with my professor then as I do now about the merit of this analogy, because I find it extremely insightful. Maybe it is a sentiment more often felt by the females of our species, because we do tend (at least my sisters and I do) to jump to conclusions about relationships and watch the credits before letting the film play out. But to this point I would have to honestly say that most of my dates have left me with similar musings. Although "Fiftieth Tall Man" would be more accurate, along with "Third Musical Man", "Seventh Pre-Law Student", "Nineteenth Blind Date", and "First (and Last) Poli-Sci Major".

The problem, I know, lies with me more than with the men in the credits. I am not sure what I am looking for, and that is probably why I haven't found it yet. The best friend, the gentlemanly rascal, the mature caretaker, and the comedian are just some of the personalities that have attracted me in the past, but somehow I think it will require a combination of these to make it as the starring male in my personal production.

Maybe I am just getting more picky in my old age? I hope not, but I have discovered that there are some characteristics about which I cannot compromise. Aside from the obviously important things like having the same values, core beliefs, and goals, being a hard worker, etc., I have decided that it is imperative that I be with someone who makes me laugh. (It isn't really that hard; I do it all the time!) Also, it is important that he appreciates music, especially mine, because that is such a central part of who I am that he couldn't know me otherwise. Now that doesn't mean that he has to be musical himself, mostly he just has to enjoy listening to me play piano on occasion. Haha, and of course he has to think I am amazing, especially on the days that I don't think so.

Lest you think me completely selfish, I can assure you that I will think my husband is the most amazing, handsome, and romantic person in the world. I look forward to devoting my days to making him happy, and yes, I have already picked out some names for our future children. :)

And I look forward to seeing his name in the credits of the movie of life, because it will be right at the top, just after the Director's.

1 comment:

  1. I also enjoyed the analogy, thanks for sharing
    -random viewer

    ReplyDelete