Today one of my students likened me to Ariel, the Disney mermaid, not because I have flowing red hair (because I don't) or because I roam the ocean in a seashell bra (because I DEFINITELY don't), but because I lost my voice. Utterly. Completely. Obviously.
It started on Tuesday, with a slight sore throat and a little bit of a tickle. On Wednesday morning my voice was already giving out in certain tonal ranges, and by this morning (Thursday) I was reduced to a breathy whisper, understood only when coupled with absolute silence and lip-reading. I have only lost my voice two or three other times in my life, although never to this extent, and I always thought it was kind of fun to hear it squeak and see what it would do when I tried to say things normally. Of course, I never had anything really important to do then.
Some things are really hard to do without a voice. I have learned what a lot of those things are in the last 36 hours: asking for directions, ordering at a restaurant, answering the phone, and especially teaching first grade. I went to school determined to make it until lunch, and greeted all of my students with a soundless "good morning" at the door. They thought it was funny, and some were genuinely concerned, but overall they behaved very well. I wrote out my comments, instructions, and questions on the whiteboard and I was pleased to see everyone trying to read the messages, even the less competent readers. They helped each other to understand what I was saying, and I had several volunteers for a personal assistant.
But even with the best behavior, it was pretty challenging to teach a math lesson, and phonics was out of the question, so I sent them off to lunch and called in for a substitute. How fun! Now I had the rest of the afternoon free!
First I wanted to call my mom. Wait...she can't hear me. Hmmm, I thought, maybe I will go find out more about that piano playing job at the retirement center! Nope, that is out, too. I ended up spending a silent afternoon cleaning my apartment and taking a nap, and I was sad to not be able to sing as I did the dishes, because that is one of the few times when I do. I think I normally identify more with Cinderella (just because of the activities that bring on her spontaneous bursts of song), but for this week I guess I am stuck with a closer resemblance to the Disney girl in the seashell bra.
P.S. If I had to choose a Disney character that I identify most with, it would undoubtedly be Meg from Hercules.
Loved this post. Haha! Your choice in Meg is a great choice too. Hopefully you get your voice back soon!
ReplyDeleteHaha thanks, Broderick. The voice is definitely on its way back! And yes, Meg is the best heroine by far. I think the others are all between 16 and 18 years old...
DeleteHaha thanks, Broderick. The voice is definitely on its way back! And yes, Meg is the best heroine by far. I think the others are all between 16 and 18 years old...
Delete